Thursday, February 7, 2008

Today in the Obits

Well the bad news first. My computer is dead. The bios will not fire no matter what I do. I tried everything I could find on the internet and it dead. I hope the harddrive is still good because the last time I saved my mod progress to disk was in December.
The good news is that all is not lost. I am now building my first computer. This will take up my time for a few weeks but I will post progress as it comes. I have already received all the parts except a new copy of windows that should be here on Friday. Since my old computer likely failed due to overheating, I am taking precautions to prevent this. (5 system fans set up to create a positive air pressure inside the case to keep dust out.)

Here are the specs so far. Take in mind I am not rich and cannot afford to by the latest tech but I think I have made some good choices.
Processor: AMD 64 X2 5400 @ 2.8 GHz
Ram: 2 Gigs of Corsair with built in heat sinks
Graphics Card: for now I am recycling my old x1600 pro but will be upgrading to something better, likely an X1950 Pro, in a few months.
Case: An Ultra Alluminus, easy to build on with a detachable mother board tray.
600Watt power supply.
250 gig Western Digital Sata II harddrive, with 3gbs transfer rate.

I have already the mobo, processor, heatsinks, ram, power supply, and harddrive installed but am still working on configuring all the power cables to not block to much airflow. Hopefully by sat it will be running. I will post some pictures as soon as I am able to get the cam to load them on my girlfriends computer. Wish me luck.

No comments: